Thursday, December 17, 2009

Random Dozen




1. Gingerbread: For or against? Discuss.

Ok, I assume you mean gingerbread as in gingerbread houses and gingerbread men – not the muffin kind that is great with a large glass of homemade lemonade? Gingerbread houses and men – AGAINST. They can cause nightmares. They represent my absolute inability to create cute warm fuzzy kind of baked goods. When I worked with the 4-H office, one of the Sr. 4-H’ers needed to enter a gingerbread house in a local contest. Bless her heart, she was stuck with me. I really wish there had been a prize for the ugliest. It was humiliating next to all those beautiful time consuming detailed works of art –(Lid – yours was wonderful last year! Wish I could build a one half as nice as yours). Ours looked as if a three year old had made it with no adult supervision. It was bad. Shameful!

2. Is it important to you to always stay (live) close to family?

Hmmm. I don’t know. I have never lived more than 25 miles from my parents. But I think it would be ok if we/they needed to move further away.


3. Which holiday pretend character do you wish really existed?

They are pretend??? They don’t really exist?!?
The elves, if they would come and clean my house and straighten the yard and rub my feet!

4. Which holiday movie best represents how you feel about Christmas or life?

Ohhhh this one is hard. I am not sure. I know which ones absolutely do not represent my feelings of Christmas or life: Scrooge or The Grinch.

5. Is there a particular Christmas song that you're enjoying now? Any that you're tired of?

Tired of? Hmmm probably Jingle Bells. I have part of a song stuck in my head. It is newer Christmas Song – Sing Mary Sing, lullaby the King . . . I am enjoying that. I realized though, I have not heard “I saw three ships” nor the “Holly and the Ivy” this year. I would like to hear them …

6. What is your favorite way to remember those less fortunate at Christmastime?

We have a couple ways – Samaritan’s Purse, Salvation Army Buckets and the ongoing food collections at Church.

7. Does it upset you to see "Xmas" instead of Christmas? How about "Happy Holidays" etc., instead of "Merry Christmas?"

No to both. I use Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas interchangeably. The Holidays include the New Year too me.
As long as we don’t see “Happy Winter” start popping up – I am ok, I will refuse to say the “politically correct” winter jargon. As for the X in place of Christ. I did look this up once, but did not have time to dig too deep. But X is Greek? Hebrew? Ancient symbol for Christ. I realize though, that most who use that, is just for short hand purposes. I am secure in my faith walk and God’s power, I don’t feel I need to be offended and I choose not to make that an issue while there are so many other needs that deserve attention.

8. How many Christmas programs are you attending this month?

One. Wait, no, two if you count the Sing Along last Sunday evening. Candle Lighting is this Sunday night

9. Are you dreaming of a white Christmas? Any chance of that dream becoming a reality?

Oh, my it IS time to start my yearly mantra… Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. Chances are slim to none though.

10. Tell me about a Christmas present you received as a child. Pics are always nice.

A Barbie doll storage case full of home made Barbie Doll clothes, A Barbie swimming pool, A Barbie Condo with it’s own elevator. I liked Barbie. And her figure I don’t believe caused any self image problems. My figure is no where near Barbie’s physique. I also remember my mom giving me one year two pant set outfits - one pink – pink pants, and a pink vest. The other was red corduroy pant/vest. I was so proud of those out fits!

11. How many Christmas parties are you attending this month?

Two.

12. How do you keep yourself centered on the significance of Christmas?

I am not as successful with that as I would like. I try, but I wrestle with it. The hurry and stress fights with my desire for ease, peace, smiles, joy, sleep. If at first you don’t succeed, try try again.

10 comments:

gayle said...

I would have answered many of these the same way you did! If you find any of those foot rubbing elves, would you send a couple to me?!

larkswing said...

I gladly would pimp them out! Oh for a foot rub!

Maggie May said...

I loved your answers and would have written very similar ones.
Can you send me an elf please?

Nuts in May

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Wonderful answers, Lailani!!! We share so many similar feelings about things! Love it! Had to laugh about the elves...such a GREAT idea... ;-) Merry Christmas, dear friend...and if you want snow,come on up...it's up to my waist now!!! Love you! Janine XO

Hadriana's Treasures said...

Happy Christmas, Lailani, to you and yours! All the very best too for 2010...Hadriana xx

FancyHorse said...

I especially liked your answer to #7!

I tried to make gingerbread men once, but never a g'bread house! You're braver than I am.

I'd like some of those foot-rubbing elves, too!

I like It's a Wonderful Life. I'm optimistic, and still believe in the ideals, that kindness wins out over greed.

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas, dear friend!!! Sending you love, Janine XO

Anonymous said...

I love Q&As! My kids don't like to eat gingerbread, but they love to decorate! Some of those were tough questions - however, the easiest is "Yeah for White Christmases!!"

Merry After-Christmas!

Anonymous said...

hi lailani.. received the books last night, and i LOVE them!! will be another cherished memory to unpack with the rest of my Christmas next year! thanks so much!
continued blessings,
-Tracie

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Happy New Year, dearest Lailani!!!! Love you so much!!! Janine XO