Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Rodent Magnet Extraordinaire







Cute, huh?

So in my wonderful glowing recap of the Thanksgiving, I did leave out one aspect.


There was sleep deprivation ...

Niquel Drinking...



Room changing . . .

Forced by cute, fuzzy, adorable




Hades sent Chipmunks!!

See, every year there is one BIG challenge - A good night's sleep. We normally have room #3 at the farm. There is chipmunk chewed hole on the outside that lets the fuzzy creatures into a home. A nest.

Chipmunks are nocturnal - I am not! Their scampering up and down the inside of the wall during the night is less than ideal.

Two years ago there were babies. Do you know when baby chipmunks cry for the mommies?? About 3:00 in the morning.

Last year we went out a week early and moth balled the hole and then stopped it up.

This year we started our stay in room #4.

Guess what?? They found me!!

About 3 or 4 in the morning we were pulled out of our sleep by what sounded like a rodent freeway. Scampering back and forth and back and forth in the wall behind our bed. I did finally manage to doze back off.

Then, something else woke me up.

It can't be . ..

In the mattress beneath me, there was a stirring. Not my imagination. I fully awaken, and yup, there it is again.

There is an unidentified creature moving inside the mattress!!

Not on top - I thank God! But inside.

The sun comes up, hubby comes back from hunting and checks out the building for Chipmunk holes. Found two of them, one on the front of our room and one on the back. They had full run of the end of the cabin!

Hubby fixed them!

Mothballs were poured in the holes!

We settle in for, what should be, a great night's sleep after losing sleep the night before.

We knew Chipmunks ddi not like mothballs. We did not know and had not considered how they would would take to the new addition to their hangout.

Their reaction upon finding mothballs in their quarters?



We had screaming chipmunks!!! (oh, were they mad!)

Since a guest had returned home ... we snagged their room!

5 comments:

Jan said...

I never knew that about mothballs. We might have to take some to our cabin now. How weird.

Ann On and On... said...

Very Funny! I'm sure it wasn't for you...(sorry for that) The whole freeway thing cracked me up.

Mothballs...never knew.

Hubby saves the day! After hunting of course. :D I've got one of those too.

Jane In The Jungle said...

OMG, I am so sorry but this is so funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shell in your Pocket said...

OH my!!! Where is the nearest hotel??? You are a brave soul!
-sandy toes

Sandi McBride said...

Did you ever discover what was sharing your mattress? That's why I camp out at the Holiday Inn!
hugs
Sandi