Thursday, January 14, 2010

"The Birds Will Come..."

My friend, my next door neighbor, has started a blog. I love the name, "The birds will come . . . "

As she shares in her first post, her mother, having been diagnosed with a brain tumor, came to live with them this past summer. As the days lend themselves to sweet moments to be treasured, and moments that tear at the heart, she has erected some bird feeders for her mother.

I did not know this until yesterday when I walked over to visit.

Remember the ice tree The Man and I created?

This...



Over the last few days, the ice has slowly melted. The child has quit playing in the tree. The limbs of the poor apple tree have sprung back into place.  Several times, while outside, I would turn to see what the sound was that I was hearing. It was the ice sliding and the flutter of wings. Usually 3 or 4 cardinals had lighted on the limbs, and as the ice would slide, they would fly off to another spot.

From my kitchen window, I have so enjoyed watching the Cardinals. At times as many as six in the tree at once.

I had no idea bird feeders were set up next door.  What a gift was given to our yards.  To our souls.

Today, all the ice is on the ground. White, but speckled. Speckled with some brown, and some with bright red.






Today as I watched, I smiled and I thought of my friend. I thought of the gift she gave her mom. And in doing so, without knowing it or meaning to, she gave a gift to another...

Thank You..

So go visit her. Her words and thoughts are beautiful and her challenge so timely.

Smiles!


“A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song.”

8 comments:

The Muse said...

Gorgeous imagery...I love the ice...love the melting...

Moreover, I was saddened and uplifted about your neighbor(s)

So glad that you are there as a good neighbor!

The Muse said...

Bravo...Bravo...
Your sentence was splendid!
And what an image I have in my Muse head, now!!! LOL

Jane In The Jungle said...

What a beautiful story!!!

Anonymous said...

Great post you got here. I'd like to read a bit more about that theme. Thanx for giving this information.
Joan Stepsen
Tech gadget

Betsy Brock said...

Watching and feeding birds is very theraputic! I hope it helps your sick lady friend next door in some way!

Hilary said...

That's just beautiful. Such a lovely appreciative sentiment. I'm going to read your neighbour's post too.

Gayle said...

What a sweet gift your friend is giving her mother and others. The cardinals are so beautiful.

Merrie said...

Beautiful! I love the ice tree and the birds... and also the gift of the birds. My mother loves birds and when nothing else makes sense to her and she doesn't know anything, she knows birds and smiles.