Monday, June 1, 2009

Memories Monday

Demolition D being in Savannah reminded me how much I miss my trips to the east side of the state.

My bother has lived in and around Savannah for about 15 years. For awhile, the boys were at an age that traveling there frequently was easy. Time marches on though and the trips have become very seldom. With having worked Saturdays for the the past 3 years, Demolition D's sports, Traveler's plays and The Man and Scouts, there just has not been enough time.

Sometimes, it was just myself going on the trips. Others the rest of the family.

This trip was around Thanksgiving eight years ago. It does not seem that long ago, but the date and the pictures of the boys do not lie.

It was a great trip. After a ride through a section called Isle of Hope we headed to Wormslow, the remnants of a colonial estate built in the early 1700's

Photobucket

A working plantation, it was unique in that it had also had an experimental garden. The garden was known to be host to a centure plant with a 27 foot blossom. Also unique to the area, grown in this garden - figs, apricots, pomegranate.

None of that is present any more. Just the tabby ruins. And a small site with a guide to teach visitors the trials of living in such an area during that time. I think I will stick to modern times, no tabby making for me!


Photobucket


Photobucket

But the trails were, actually probably still are, fantastic nature spots.

The trees twisted by the winds make it a wonderland.

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Memories, what memories do you have today? Take a walk back and have a good time.

Monday Memories hosted by Gayle at Planet M Files

9 comments:

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Terrific memories! Savannah is such a magical place! These photos are gorgeous! I especially like the first one!!! So unusual! And beautiful!! ~Janine XO

Faye said...

What a beautiful post! Such memories to remember! Hope you have a great day! Please keep us in your prayers! Love Faye

maya | springtree road said...

i love savannah! so much to see there. these pics don't look 8 years old to me. :)

Gayle said...

Someday I would love to visit that part of the country. It looks so beautiful! Thank you for sharing these memories with us today!

Jan said...

I really am quite jealous of where you live L. I love it so much. What a great memory to have and share. I love them all.

Mrs. E said...

Beautiful part of the country!

Cheffie-Mom said...

Love this post! I have not been to Savannah, but I've been to Atlanta! LOL! Peach Circle, Peach Drive, Peach Place - peach everything!

Puna said...

This looks like a wonderful day! One day I'm going to get to Savannah!

Merrie said...

Ahhhh... Savannah! Yes, what memories that town stirs up in me. We lived close to there twice. My 2nd son was born there. One of our favorite pastorates was very close to there and well... I grew up going there and spending time at the beach and in the "wilds" of the area. I love how your memories always seem to drag me into them.