Monday, June 1, 2009

Going Out Of Business

I have sent emails about the closing of the store.



I have to say, for the most part, making the decision and taking that first step has lifted a weight off my shoulders.



I am still not thrilled. There have been moments when I have told someone that we are not going to be opened much longer, and the emotions have reared their head. I have been given suggestions on paths to take to continue, all of which have already been researched out and the brick wall left a knot on my head.



But . . . we are moving forward.



I sold the first sandwich table unit last week. Have six left.



Thursday, I was busy putting meals together for orders, when someone came in. As I headed up front, I saw this gentleman, with his curls and a cute (as in geeky cute) smile. He started his sale on the small business insurance he was offering and I stopped him and told him I was closing the end of June.

He looked me in the eye and said, "It is like having your heart ripped out, huh?"

I agreed and he spoke some more.

He had a factory, a smaller factory of a larger corporation. When it closed, employees from the other two sites, remaining open, converged on the now closed business grabbing up whatever they wanted and could use for their own factories.

He said at one point, a man turned to him and said "this is great! Just like Christmas, don't you think?"

The disappointed man looked at him and said "no, actually this feels more like cleaning out my grandpa's house after he died..."

He wished me luck and headed on.

I felt like I was a given a gift. A gift of compassion, but also a gift of validation. Those feelings coming and going were and are normal.

The same day I came across this devotional about a rose bush, about separating and how it will spread and grow more. You can read the whole post here, while all of it was wonderful, this paragraph touched me most :

  • It's hard when God allows our hopes to be shattered, our hearts to be broken, our relationships to be fractured, our fears to be realized. I really doubted any good could come from such loss. I doubted that I could make it through the pain.Like the uprooting of that rose bush some of my leaves wilted, some stems were cut back, petals fell to the ground and some branches had more thorns than blossoms for a while. It took time for me to get re-established in new soil. But God plan for His glory became evident each day that I surrendered to His power and trusted His plans more than mine.

The notice of the store closing has stirred up more orders and larger orders than I have had in a while. I am glad that bills coming due will have the revenue needed that I might not have had otherwise. I am hoping for the best month I have ever had - going out with a bang!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do hope things work out for you. I can't imagine how you must feel but to have the "move forward" attitude has to be the right way to go.  The best of luck.CJ xx

Faye said...

This is great! Hope you have a great day! Blessings, Faye

Jan said...

What a sad time for you. It would be for me anyways. I hope all goes well and that is so nice that others are pulling through to keep you in revenue. I wish you the best in your forward mode L.

Take care,
Jan

Skoots1moM said...

what a great post
bravo...
yes, your feelings are real and He did send you an angel, didn't He!!

Way to hang in there as you transition

Robin Lambright said...

Change is so difficult! Sad sometimes, I know that as you move from this business into a new normal you will experience many different feelings.

Blessings for whatever comes into your life next!

R

Gayle said...

My heart goes out to you. I'm glad that you are getting the orders you need to boost your revenue for upcoming bills. I'm sending good thoughts your way.

Sniffles and Smiles said...

It is so hard!!!! But I know you will give yourself time to grieve your loss...the death of a dream is so painful...you are handling it all so bravely and so well! I admire you. And you have written such an inspiring post as you walk this painful path! Thank you! God bless you as you move ahead! ~Janine XO

Anonymous said...

very touching post. my heart is reaching out to yours.. though you may not feel it.. i assure you, we're all wishing the very best for you. and God must have something really special in store. only He knows why things happen this way... but i applaud you for your courage and strength, through your tears.
many blessings,
-Tracie

Aleta said...

All I can say is

*hugs*

Sometimes a hug is the best way to show an emotion. It's what I can offer during a time where words just aren't enough....

Finding Pam said...

I understand how you feel. I had my flower shop for ten years. I sold it only to have the new owners run it into the ground. It is very heart breaking to experience the loss of something you loved so very much.

God does work in strange and mysterious way. When He closes one door he always opens another window.

Take heart in knowing that you provided wonderful food and ministry to so many people. It is a grieving process, but I know that once you are through with the sad stuff, you will be able to view it all in a better perspective. I was so tired on working 60-80 hour weeks and my life suffered because of my dream.

This is a tender time for you, so I pray that your family and friends support you as you close this chapter in your life. If cooking is your passion, God will find a way for you to do that through another source.

I promise there is life after owning your own business. You may have to go and search for it, but it will be there.

Hugs and many blessings to you.
Pam

Jane In The Jungle said...

Aww, I wish I could run down and help you. Just hang in there, your heart's gonna make it!

The Muse said...

Thinking of you...and keeping your needs in prayer.

Merrie said...

So sorry to hear about you closing. I am reminded of the scripture that "the end of a thing is better than the beginning".... I will believe with you that this will be your best month EVER!
I know from experience the mixed bag of emotions involved in "moving on". I'm so thankful that when God opens a window when a door is closed.
I just think of all those you have blessed and ministered to and feel bad for those who missed their blessing!
Will be praying for God's perfect provision.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about your business. You did a beautiful job on your blog telling your story. Continue Hoping in the good things God has planned for you! Be Faithful they will happen! May blessings fall on you today like rain in a spring storm!