Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Yes, The Week of Gratitude and Thanksgiving




I would have to say, the mellowness of this song does not match my feelings, but I love it!
I enjoy the shades of color and feelings gratitude can take on. I think mine, this year, matches the bright
oranges, yellows and reds of all the leaves.

I am thankful for the color that has lasted so long,
and for the rain, so desperately needed, that will
wash the colors down and away.

I am thankful for all that we always give thanks for this time of year:
family, friends, jobs, homes and food on the table.

But I have had fun this week, trying to be thankful in all things,
to take in the world around me a little more.

I have not been completely successful, but I have succeeded also.

Yesterday, I had such a simple experience, but yet it was joyful too.
As I pumped gas, having noticed a couple gas stations .10 lower than
the stations near home (thankful), a lady on the other side asked me
how far to the interstate. I had to think, and am not sure how right I was,
but she was thankful when I said 20-25 miles, she said she was tired.
I noticed then, the tag on her car. Oregon. Oregon to south Georgia??
So I asked about the distance she had traveled, and she shared some of her
story(thankful). She retired in September, and had been on the road since October.
Making her way to a family members home, in Florida, for Thanksgiving.
She had zig zagged her way, by herself, across the states, and now was
less than a day away.

She said she was visiting the relative and then going to Peru. I took a chance,
and hoped I was not intruding, and asked about Peru. She wants to live
in South America for awhile.  She named a couple places she is considering,
knowing which were open in heart and soul, to accepting "outsiders."

It was a quick conversation, but she made me smile. I am thankful for those
that can step away from what they know and enter adventures such as that.
I am thankful for the independence and courage that some possess and inspire
the rest of us, who may not have it. I am thankful that she shared a snippet of her
story with a complete stranger. Because I loved her adventure...funny how something
so simple and not necessarily out of the normal can bring enjoyment.

There were many more "thankful moments" yesterday, and the day before, and
the day before that. I am sure there will be plenty today... I just hope to remember
to breath deep and take them in and keep my savoring for those moments,
more than for the pies and cakes and casseroles tomorrow...

Happy Thanksgiving To You All!!

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him."
Colossians 3:17

2 comments:

Sandi McBride said...

You know, I look around at all the woes that some of my family members are enduring and not only does the phrase "there but for the Grace of God go I" come to mind, but the thought at wonderfully blessed we are, so I give Thanks...and it's the color in our lives that keep the grays at bay...you put into words exactly what I was feeling!
hugs
Sandi
ps
this is the link to my new blog (2nd one) if you click on my name.

Finding Pam said...

Lailani, this is such a beautiful post. I loved the poem. God has richly blessed us.

You said all the words I feel in my heart. I am ever so thankful for the Grace of God.

Wishing you and your family a blessed Thanksgiving.