Thursday, August 11, 2011

Eighteen


Eighteen years. Wow – what a journey. So glad to be on it. . .
Is it wrong to think of your child’s birthday as your birthday too?
I am thinking it is appropriate. I have not felt it this strongly before – but this 18th celebration of life has struck that cord.

A beautiful melody is being played. A sentimental tune ending in an upbeat strumming of what is to come.
Eighteen
Society and tradition have deemed it a passage to the next phase of life. While that is skewed in today’s setting, some rites of passage remain. Some new responsibilities present themselves. New opportunities.
I suppose you could say, when looking back, each year a been a new opportunity for me too. Each year I have grown because of him. I have learned, loved, yelled, pondered. But each experience has not only had an impact on who he is and who he will become, but God has used him to continue to make me who I am, molding me, chiseling away parts that were not suppose to be there or were too rough. Building up muscle where I was too soft. Seeing a bigger picture. Experiencing frustrations, disappointments, confusion and most of all joy and a love beyond human understanding.


So happy birthday to Demolition D (and happy birthday to me too...)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

sure.. share the day! :) happy bday to Dem D! and to you!!
thanks for the support, AGAIN! you're a peach!!

FancyHorse said...

Happy Birthday to your son!

I’m so glad to be back on Blogger! I couldn’t successfully post my entries, but finally learned how, thanks to a blogger named OTURNERO.

Jane In The Jungle said...

I get to do 18 next summer.....I hope I'm ready!

Jules~ said...

Happy Birthday to Demolition D and celebrating you too! I think it is totally appropriate to own the passage of our children. I completely identify with your feelings and I think you shared them in word so eloquently.

God bless you and your week.

Gayle at Planet M Files said...

So beautifully said, Lailani! Happy Belated Birthday to Demolition D!